Sunday, December 11, 2011

Celebrating 10 Years at TranSystems

December 10, 2001 marked the beginning of a new journey for me. I had just left the only engineering firm I had known after 18 months to pursue new challenges. At the time, TranSystems (headquartered in Kansas City, MO) was the new firm in Wichita. It got its start in Wichita after winning a share of the work on the $105 million Central Corridor project that would raise the railroad tracks in downtown Wichita to eliminate several street crossings and reduce traffic and rail congestion. At the time, there were only three full time staff members in the Wichita office that were trying to establish and grow a design operation. As I left my old firm, there were several who thought I was taking a big risk, going to such a small office with limited resources and no guarantee of success in Wichita. But, two factors made it an easy decision. I couldn't ignore what a huge opportunity it would be for me. To be a part of something from the ground up and to help it grow. I've always liked challenges, I love to hear people tell me that something won't work, because I like to prove them wrong. The other reason I knew it would work were the people leading the office at the time. I had known Steve Webb several years prior to him hiring me and I knew he had a great business mind. I trusted Steve that between the national resources TranSystsems had to offer, and their wide range of expertise, that this office would thrive. Steve's office manager was Brett Letkowski. I did not know Brett as well, but Steve assured me Brett was the right man for the job and had his full trust and support.

With that knowledge, I made the best decision of my career. TranSystems Wichita office has grown from four employees back then, to 14 today. We have been a part of many exciting projects, some of which I've highlighted here on this blog. We've built the Central Corridor project, provided traffic engineering and design services for East Kellogg from the Kansas Turnpike to the east city limits of Andover. We've designed and built a new interchange for the Kansas Star Casino. We've designed numerous arterial street widenings in the Wichita area including widenings on Pawnee, Meridian, and Central Avenue in Wichita and most recently, Maize Road in the City of Maize. We've provided traffic modeling services not just in Wichita but in major metro areas across the company. We've provided planning services and studies for the Kansas World Trade Center as well as various industrial parks. Lastly, TranSystems has provided construction management services for projects across the state of Kansas.
My son Tate driving to the hoop
The last 10 years have flown by. I guess they say, time flies when you're having fun, and I certainly am. It amazes me to think of all the things that have happened in my personal life in the last 10 years, including meeting and marrying my amazing wife Shelly and watching my son Tate go from preschool to high school. YIKES!!!!!

Unfortunately, the man who helped start this journey for me, Steve Webb, passed away last year from a battle with cancer. I know he is smiling down on me as I type this right now with that big smile of his getting satisfaction out of this. He's probably saying how nice the weather is where he is at right now, as he often did this time of year after he moved to Florida. I hear ya Steve, and I'm planning my next beach vacation as I speak!!!!

Thanks to all of you. From the clients we've worked with to my associates at TranSystems and to my friends and family who have provided me with such support over the years. Here's to the next 10 years!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment